Mandate & Objective
The mandate of AICRP-Potato is to coordinate and monitor multilocation trials on newly developed potato hybrids, agronomic practices related to crop production, identification of remunerative potato based cropping systems, plant protection measures and post-harvest technology, all aimed at increasing production, productivity and utilization of potato in the country. The programme also acts as linkage between different stakeholders related to potato production and utilization.
The overall objective of AICRP (Potato) is “Varietal development and identify improved production technologies for potato in different agro-climatic regions” to help achieve high total factor productivity across the country, which is expected to be accomplished through the following specific objectives:
- Development/identification of improved potato varieties according to consumer’s preference and user group and different target environments.
- Identification of appropriate agronomic practices and profitable potato based cropping systems for different regions.
- Monitoring of diseases/pests and other problems of potato in varied agro-climates and develop appropriate measures for their control/management.
- Identification of areas suitable for production of disease-free potato seed.
- Development of technologies for minimizing post-harvest losses.
- Technology assessment and refinement.
- Development of linkages with Agricultural Universities, State Departments of Agriculture/Horticulture, KVKs and other developmental/extension agencies.